[GLLUG] Where is outgoing mail stored?

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:16:11 -0500

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:10:35AM -0500, Felicia Berryman wrote:

   Hello,

   I have a machine that was sending outgoing mail and filling up
   mailboxes.  The current solution has been to unplug the ethernet.
   I would prefer to delete the outgoing mail and have the machine
   back on the network though.  Does anyone know if this stored in an
   outbox similar to the /var/spool/mail/ inboxes?

   Thanks!

Outgoing email is queued in /var/spool/mqueue/

If you are running sendmail you will want to execute the following:

/etc/init.d/sendmail stop; rm -f /var/spool/mqueue; \
/etc/init.d/sendmail start

Dennis Kelly
Network Administrator
College of Engineering