[GLLUG] Booting into text mode

Brad Fears fearsb@michigan.gov
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:45:55 -0500

You could always modify the /etc/inittab file like so:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

Change the 5 to 3, and it will boot to text mode.

--Brad Fears

>>> Reza Beha <reza_beha@yahoo.com> 02/13/02 01:37PM >>>
When I boot into RedHat, X starts automatically.  Is
there a key combination I can hit to jump into text
mode without logging in?

I ask this because every now and then my screen is
garbled and I can't see anything well enough to log in
and start a console.  If I reboot once or twice, it
works fine.