[GLLUG] Re: Booting into text mode

Reza Beha reza_beha@yahoo.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:06:56 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, everyone, for all the help!

I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 and it does the trick.  From
there, my current plan is to drop to runlevel 3 to
kill any X processes, then go back into runlevel 5
(using the "telinit" command).  I prefer using X
because it offers a higher-resolution shell window
than what I get in text-only mode, and it looks cool
to boot (no pun intended).

BTW, runlevel 5 is the default for starting X Windows,
and 6 is for a reboot.  I believe you're right about
runlevel 3 letting you log into text mode every time.

Reza