[GLLUG] Re: Booting into text mode

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:36:43 -0500

On Thursday 14 February 2002 10:34, Sean wrote:
> I think killing the run-levels is a lot harder then just manually
> launching X when you need it and killing it and restarting when it
> goes wonky.
>
> FWIW RH 6.0 was buggy, like most x.0 RH releases. 6.1 may have the
> bug-fix although i didnt think the diamond stealth cards were that
> well supported since diamond never gave out the tech specs in the
> first place.

Redhat 6.0 used X 3.3.3, which had a number of problems.  X 3.3.6,
which was in Redhat 6.1, probably fixes this particular problem.  X
4.1, which is in Redhat 7.1, will probably not just fix the X problems,
but would also give you a performance boost in X.

I think the Stealth cards used an S3 chipset of some sort.  S3 chipsets
have never been well-supported under X, though things have improved and
are usable under the latest versions of X.

--
   "I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
   people waiting to abuse me."