[GLLUG] Re: Booting into text mode

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:49:15 -0500

No, but the S3 chipset will display VESA framebuffer modes.  Anything that doesn't have GL support of one form or another is better off, IMHO, if it's used in vfb mode - both for the kernel and X display.  This solves many problems like switching between graphics modes, using undocumented/unsupported monitors, and color map conflicts.  That's just my opinion, but as long as you're not playing Quake or doing rendering/modeling with the machine, vfb is a good (and easy) choice.

PaulM

I think the Stealth cards used an S3 chipset of some sort.  S3 chipsets
have never been well-supported under X, though things have improved and
are usable under the latest versions of X.
-- paste --