Ethernet bonding in Linux 2.2.x

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:53:06 -0500

I believe it's a feature of the 2.4.x kernels, but for 2.2.x, you'll
want to use Donald Becker's `ifenslave` tool, which comes with Beowulf.
(I think it ships w/ Debian, too..?  Ben Pfaff will know.)

PaulM

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Szidik [mailto:szidikm@mlcnet.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 2:49 PM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: Ethernet bonding in Linux 2.2.x

Anybody got some experience bonding (or trunking) multiple NIC's
into one fat pipe?  I have a box with an Intel dual port NIC.  I
have never tried to bond the two ports together because I didn't
think my switch supported it.  Turns out it does (HP 4000M), so I
would love to take this rather busy box and double its bandwith
by bonding the two nics together as one.  Anybody done this?  Or
can you point me to a good starting spot?

Thanks,