Ethernet bonding in Linux 2.2.x

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:58:19 -0500

Quoted from Mark Szidik on Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:48:34PM -0500:

> Anybody got some experience bonding (or trunking) multiple NIC's
> into one fat pipe?

I have never actually tried "bonding multiple NIC's into one fat
pipe", but I would assume you could do it fairly easily.

I would recommend aiming for square pipes instead of round though,
because NICs don't bend well into curved shapes.  The first step
is to get ahold of some bonding materials.  I suggest Krazy Glue
(www.krazyglue.com).  Then place the NICs edge-to-edge to form a
square.  This requires 4 rectangular NICs (the ones that have
slanted edges are harder to piece together), and you should be able
to see through from end to end when you're done, something like
this: [].  After you build several segments like this, place them
end-to-end and bond them in place (with more Krazy Glue) to form
a tunnel.  Repeat as needed to form a "fat pipe", then test to make
sure your pipes are water-tight.  Add more Krazy Glue as necessary
to fill holes.

If by "fat pipe" you were referring to some form of bong to smoke
your weed in, similar techniques could be used.  Plus there's the
added bonus of the fumes you get by burning stuff on a bunch of
PCBs held together by Krazy Glue, the smoke from which will likely
provide either a "groovy trip" or severe brain damage and death.

Hope that helps!

ED

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu