First meeting topics

Jason Green greenja6@msu.edu
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:25:27 -0500

I'm still relatively new to the entire open source field (and UNIX for that
matter).  I have managed to install Mandrake twice on two different
computers and set up a VERY basic firewall with OpenBSD on a 486.  I played
around with setting up a proxy server using apache, and I got it to work
fine with Win2k, but not with Mandrake.  However, I do have extensive
MS-based experience, and I've been a corporate sysadmin for about 2 years
now.

I plan on being at the first meeting, and really just want to get a better
idea of all the possibilities that Linux/BSD's etc. can offer on both the
server and desktop levels (presently and in the future).  I'm leary of using
any of the *nix type OS's at this office primarily because I'd be the only
person that would be able to fix it if it went down, and it'd take me a long
time, too.  I want to learn more about basic navigation and system
administration on these OS's.  I would be interested in helping to create
step-by-step guides for re-installation of specific types of servers, too.

Anyway, sorry for the long email, but those are a few topic ideas at least.
See everyone next week!

Jason Green
IT Coordinator, Lansing Management
greenja6@msu.edu