[GLLUG] Evolution updates

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
30 Jan 2002 14:56:22 -0500

OK, I think I finally finished the last bit of information transfer to
Evolution.  I've been using it as my primary email client since my last
update, and I feel fairly comfortable with it (as evidenced by the fact
that I haven't switched back to MUTT yet).  The main drawback I have
right now is that I can't access everything remotely, since mail is
downloaded via POP and stored on my workstation.  There is probably some
way to have all the mail on a server and share it, but right now I'm not
going to open that can of worms. =)  There's also a new version that
just came out, so I suspect I'll be installing that soon.

Now that I've used it for a while and have it actually set up to my
liking, I have a better sense of what it can and can't do, and I can see
more clearly the things I like and don't like about it.  Here are some
thoughts:

Good Things(TM):
- Multi-tasking - I can still check incoming mail while composing!
- Decent built-in editor, includes spell checking.
- Palm integration.  I didn't think I cared or wanted this, but sharing
the address book between Evolution and my Handspring works out really
well.

Bad Things(TM):
- Doesn't thread messages by default, or save setting between sessions
- Incomplete keyboard bindings (on the list for next version)
- Still a bit unstable at times, a bit buggy in places too...
- Folder sorting is only alphabetical, can't manually place important
folders at the top...

Conclusion:
Still needs work, but it's definitely usable.  Worth trying, even if you
think you won't like a product that looks like Microsoft Outlook... ;)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org