[GLLUG] article on pringles can WLAN hacking

Brian Hoort hoortbri@msu.edu
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:17:12 -0400

WLAN - Snacking & Hacking
06.02.02

Now that the Pringles can antenna has become a de rigueur accessory for the
wireless LAN hacker about town, Unstrung wondered what other everyday items
are being used to boost the range of the humble 802.11b card.

Among the offerings we found on the web that we liked were a cake tin and a
milk carton . Held together with sticky-back plastic and a good deal of
ingenuity, these home-brew antennas can boost the range of their wireless
LAN way beyond the 100 meters laid down in the WiFi specification for very
little cash, according to their creators, most of whom seem to be involved
in community WLAN access projects.

So the question is, has any reader found anything weirder? Keep 'em peeled:
That loner guy in your building who has started putting trash can lids in
his window and jello molds on the roof might just be your friendly
neighborhood "freenet" provider.

— Dan Jones, Senior Editor, Unstrung
http://www.unstrung.com

(yanked from http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=16666)