[GLLUG] OT: Ghost 7.5 and domain

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:03:18 -0400

On Thursday 06 June 2002 17:14, after a long battle with technology,
Melson, Paul wrote:
> Drive-to-drive with dd works flawlessly regardless of the partition
> type.  It's a sector by sector copy, so it's got some of the same
> issues as the old Drive Image Pro software with regard to
> smaller-to-larger drive copies, but otherwise it's seamless.  (Using
> `dd` with your CD's will make burnable .iso files, too.)

However, dd is not a good solution unless you have a filesystem that
can't be effectively written under Linux (NTFS, cough.)  If you have
FAT32, ReiserFS, ext2, or ext3 partitions to back up, the best solution
is probably "partimage".  It works similarly to Ghost, but it's Free,
and has a friendlier (ncurses-based) interface than dd.  partimage also
can be run from the command line.

WRT the original question about 'DozeNT SIDs, I remember someone saying
something about a small utility called "sidchanger".  Don't remember if
it was DOS-based or what.  Ah, Googling comes up with this:

http://silentdragon.com/download/SIDChanger/

The NEWSID.EXE thing is Free, unlike "sidchanger" and does basically the
same thing.  I suppose you could put it on the disk image source along
with "C:\FIRSTRUN.TXT" and have AUTOEXEC.BAT or whatever check for the
existence of C:\FIRSTRUN.TXT and if it exists, delete it, then run
NEWSID.EXE, and things should be cool.  HTH,

--
   Life is a hallucination, Death an illusion.  Taxes, however, are
   Objective Reality.