[GLLUG] OT: Ghost 7.5 and domain

Paul Donahue donahu16@pdonahue.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:38:12 -0400

my $0.02...

I am in charge for now of making/tweaking the images we deploy on 700+
workstations here at MSU CVM. We use norton ghost 7.0 and ZenWorks
Imaging to do this. I can't say enough about how much of a good idea it
is to use the Sysprep utility to get these NT/2K/XP boxen to set
themselves up properly. Plus if you ever get audited by MS (god forbid)
you can have sysprep prompt the tech/user setting up the machine to
actually enter "their" license key so that they're not all on the same
key. I've heard some arguments about whether or not site licensing takes
care of the key problem. We just enter the key on the side of all of our
dells and call it ok. Basically.. "Sysprep good" :)

>>> Brad Fears <brad@mtsdev.com> 06/06/02 10:34PM >>>
We use Ghost for deployment of our 3500+ workstations, and we've
explored every way to automate the process as much as possible.  What
we
came up with was an image using "newsid.exe" set to run at first login.

We then wrote a "post-install" script that steps our microtechs
through
the various phases of deployment.  Some things just can't be automated
if you're using Ghost, such as the computer id (because of the SID),
but
with an efficient script, you can speed up the entire deployment
process.  A typical workstation install takes us about 30 minutes from
start to finish.

Win2k/XP can utilize "sysprep" (written by MS), which can change the
SID
on the fly during deployment, and automate *almost* every aspect.

And in case anyone is interested, I just recently scoured the net
looking for open source solutions to Ghost.  I only came up short in
the
area of partition resizing.  I found a couple of apps that work well
for
generating the image (basically dd with fancy wrappers), but nothing
deal with our NTFS partition types after the images are pushed to the
clients.  Ghost has this functionality built in, but I'm surprised
that
nobody has created a cheaper way to do it.

--Brad Fears

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 16:46, Mark Szidik/mlc wrote:
> This is off topic, but if anyone has some experience with Symantec
Ghost
> 7.5  (not the consumer version 2002) and cloning PC's and
automatically
> adding new clones to a domain, could you please give me some advice.
I am