[GLLUG] DHCP

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:04:58 -0400

On Thursday 27 June 2002 18:00, after a long battle with technology,
Jeff Lawton wrote:

> business@servicesbywilliams.com wrote:
>> Also, they do not "recommend" non
>> Windows PC's using the satellite for internet
>> communications.  Anyone see any issues with using a
>> linux box?

Yes.  Satellite "broadband" services have special requirements, because
the latency is huge (1/2 second round-trip for packets.)  I've seen
messages on Usenet (comp.os.linux.misc and .networking) where people
have tried to use this sort of service with non-Doze machines and
reported even more horrible performance than you'd normally get.

The problem is that typically, when you make a connection to a remote
website, your machine sends a SYN, waits for the ACK (connection made),
then sends a (small) HTTP request.  The machine at the other end ACKs
("received request OK") and then sends data back.  Your machine has to
ACK every MTU-size bytes so the remote machine knows that the data was
received OK, then when the remote machine is finished, it has to send a
PUSH FIN packet.

All these small packets going back and forth *really* hurt when the
latency is high, as it is in anything involving satellites.  The
Windoze drivers for this satellite thing use some sort of proprietary
protocol that's not quite TCP and gets rid of most of that small-packet
overhead, so you're not waiting half a second every 1500 bytes.

Details on how this protocol works will be released when Satan starts
wearing ice-skates, naturally.

Jeff Lawton wrote:
> Ipcop.com does firewall routing dhcp (easy to set up and manage)
> works great on old hardware.
> Once you have the router firewall set up the isp will not be able to
> see the inside unless you open a service and then only what you open.

That's true enough, but considering the realities as described above,
the OP will have a much better "Internet experience" if he/she throws
Lose98SE on some old machine with 2 NICs and turns on "Internet
Connection Sharing".  It wouldn't surprise me, though, if the Windows
drivers for the satellite connection disable/break Windows ICS, and you
can't re-enable it unless you pay a few dollars more.

--
   "The last time somebody said, 'I find I can write much better with a
   word processor.', I replied, 'They used to say the same thing about