[GLLUG] network attached storage

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:49:53 -0500

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:11:41AM -0500, Scott Overfield wrote:

   Good Morning,
   Has anyone on the list either built, or know someone who has, a
   network attached storage box with linux?  I would like to make use
   of this technology, however, I am not interested in spending
   thousands of dollars on a NAS appliance....

If money is a key factor, you might look at implementing software
RAID.  This should cut down hardware costs. I use disk array cabinets
to store a number of SCSI disks on our ftp server for about ~150 GB of
usuable disk space.

Sustained throughput is a constant/average 800 Kilobytes/sec and peaks
up to almost 2 Megabytes/sec.  This is with 100 active clients on
average.

Dennis Kelly
Network Administrator
College of Engineering