[GLLUG] network attached storage

djf2 djf2@danu.ili.net
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:57:29 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Dpk wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:11:41AM -0500, Scott Overfield wrote:
>
>    Good Morning,
>    Has anyone on the list either built, or know someone who has, a
>    network attached storage box with linux?  I would like to make use
>    of this technology, however, I am not interested in spending
>    thousands of dollars on a NAS appliance....
>
> If money is a key factor, you might look at implementing software
> RAID.  This should cut down hardware costs. I use disk array cabinets
> to store a number of SCSI disks on our ftp server for about ~150 GB of
> usuable disk space.
>
> Sustained throughput is a constant/average 800 Kilobytes/sec and peaks
> up to almost 2 Megabytes/sec.  This is with 100 active clients on
> average.

     I was working on some NAS stuff for a former employer awhile
back...unfortunately that project fizzled out.  However, depending on what
you're using a NAS for and how tight money is, you may want to take a look
at some server appliances, the ones at http://www.raidzone.com aren't
hideously expensive (at least their 5 disk cube products). They have some
benefits like hot swapping and whatnot and some fairly compact cases,
which come in handy if you've got a space crunch, and they also run linux.
If money's really tight though, you are better off building this stuff
yourself.

--
"Is that sound you're hearing the trumpeting of St. Peter's angels
 or the screams of Memnoch's tortured souls?"