[GLLUG] imap servers

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
13 Mar 2002 09:36:20 -0500

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 17:22, Darrel Clute wrote:
> Why do you need standard Unix mailboxes instead of maildir???

It's not so much me as the other people that use the system that I need
to convince.  If we get IMAP setup, that will be the only way I'll need
to access the mail.  But other people still login and use MUTT or PINE
to check their mail locally.  MUTT will do maildir, so that's not a
problem, but PINE doesn't look like it supports maildir.  I guess I
could suggest the PINE users do IMAP to localhost, kinda roundabout but
it should work.

The other problem with maildir is that we'd have to replace sendmail
with a MTA that can handle maildir format.  That adds another piece of
software to learn and maintain...  Personally I'd go with Exim for mail
and Courier-IMAP for IMAP and POP because that's what I'm maintaining on
some other systems, but I'm not the primary sysadmin for the machine in
question.

So maildir may be a possibility, it'll just take some work to convince
everyone. =P  Of course, some of those people are on the list here, so
maybe they'll read this and help me convince everyone else to make the
switch... ;)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org