[GLLUG] Re: apcupsd

Server Admin admin@sage-one.net
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:48:39 -0600

Well, Jeff, I didn't want to "rain on your parade", but I'm afraid you
have a UPS that will not tell your computer when to shut down and that's
important of course. However, they WILL sense when the power has an
outage and kick in to keep your computer running. BUT, that means either
you have to hope the power comes back on before the battery runs out, OR
that you happen to be present when the power goes off and can manually
shut down the computer.

Short answer:

IF you are expecting the dumb UPS to monitor the system and make a safe
shutdown, you are wasting time. However, as I said earlier, if you have a
network and at least ONE smartups that CAN monitor the power/battery by
communicating with the UPS, you can use the dummies on the workstations
with each running a copy of apcupsd as a "slave". Then, the master with
the smartups KNOWS what to do and can be configured to tell the other
machines with the dummies to shut down properly.

I have tested this by pulling out the wall plug and I can attest to the
fact that this daemon worked beautifully. Each machine on the network
started "talking" immediately acknowledging they knew about the power
outage and would be shutting down. Also, sent messages to the consoles
that there will be no more logins and thus warning everyone to get off. I
have those stations with dummies set to shut down in two minutes after no
return of power. I let the servers continue until they reach the
allowable low battery level... then they will shut down too.

Conversely, when I put the plug back in, the smartups senses that and
tells every machine to abort the shut down. If I don't put the plug back
in within the 2 minutes (for the dummies only), they all save files and
shut down gracefully.

Sorry for the bad news....but, it's NOT the software. You have a limited
UPS that will work, but will not tell you anything. Not even how much
load it's using to run the equipment plugged in. Only way is to pull the
plug and see what happens.

apcupsd works well and works well on UNIX and Windows stations. I have a
"warm & fuzzy" feeling about the reliability of this daemon.

Coincidentally, am installing another APC Smart-UPS 1500 today. Pricey
but smart!