[GLLUG] monilithic kernel (debian 3.0) and ethernet devices

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:55:00 -0500

Neither.  It's just the way things are for the time being.  Since a
rootkit implies that root (or whatever analogous user account) has been
compromised, I think you'd find that most operating systems have this
"problem" in one form or another.  If you can modify the kernel or
kernel resources, you can do pretty much whatever you want.  After all,
if you can't trust the kernel, who can you trust?

I'd be interested to find out if anyone (like Ben Pfaff) has read any
research on untrusted code verification for kernels.  There are some
neat papers out there (http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/50371.html) on PCC,
but that relies on the kernel to verify untrusted application code.
There is also a lot of research (and new products) that deal with MAC
and managing system calls *to* the kernel, but nothing that deals with
the behavior of the kernel itself.   I can't conceive of how or why you
would implement something like that for a kernel.  It's my understanding
that read-only media is the best, or at least the easiest, way to secure
the kernel and the code it depends on.

PaulM