[GLLUG] Building SSL and SSH

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:56:49 -0500

Try:

1) Use `lsof -i` to verify that sshd is running and has bound to port 22.

2) Use `iptables -L -n` (or `ipchains -L -n` for 2.2.x kernel) to verify that there aren't any rules preventing a connection to the local machine on TCP/22.

3) View the sshd_config file (typically in /etc/ssh, but YRMV) to make certain that the line `PasswordAuthentication yes` is present.

Also, error messages and kernel/syslog messages would be helpful in deducing the problem.  If they don't contain sensitive data, feel free to post them to the group.  Good luck!

PaulM

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Fuerst [mailto:fuerstma@msu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 1:11 PM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: [GLLUG] Building SSL and SSH

Hi all,

For the first time I built OpenSSH and OpenSSL by hand. it all went real
easily. Too easily I guess.

I've got all my goodness in the /usr/local directory.

I can execute /usr/local/sbin/sshd to start my sshd deamon. I then try to
connect to it from the outside and it refuses to accept my password. I do a
'ps aux' and cannot see the process running, but if I execute
/usr/local/sbin/sshd again it drops a message into /var/log/messages that it
cannot start since the port is in use.

So, there's a couple of weird things goin on there...

Any ideas? If it would accept my password I'd be a happy camper.. but it
just yaks... it says "No soup for Matt Fuerst" (well, not literally...)

I am running Sparc Linux (RedHat 6.2 distro) and..I wonder if it has
something to do with PAM.. I am running shadow passwords... but I am not
sure how to check that. Is it possible that sshd cannot read my shadow
passwords or something?

Thanks for any advice...
Matt