[GLLUG] Re: The @#$%ing SSSCA

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:12:07 -0500

On Thursday 28 March 2002 05:42, you wrote:
> According to what I have read at
> wired.com, this bill would allow regulation for pretty much any
> software (open source too), and hardware. The article below, is where
> I read this.
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51274,00.html

> Do you folks think that something like this could
> actually get passed into law?

Yes.  Similarly horrible laws have been passed in the past; Google for
"Alien and Sedition Acts", "Hawley-Smoot Tariff", and "Senator Joe
McCarthy".

> I would like to write my legislators,
> but I never really written them before, and I not sure whom I should
> address.

Levin, Carl   (D - MI)
269 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-6221
senator@levin.senate.gov

Stabenow, Debbie  (D - MI)
702 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-4822
senator@stabenow.senate.gov

If you call, tell them you live in (insert name of Michigan district
you live in) and you oppose Senate bill S 2048.  They don't care about
*why* you oppose it.  E-mail can be a little more verbose, but don't
expect anyone to do more than glance at it.

Slashdot also ran a story about last Friday, you can find more info
about political actions you can take there.

--
   There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no CONSISTENCY.
   There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS.  I'm very probably wrong.