[GLLUG] Objects

Charles Williams willcha@sme.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:09:24 -0500

Last night someone asked about objects in relational databases. I asked
someone here about it.

Below is from one of our Oracle 9i people:
===================================

Yes, you are correct.  Objects & Methods for that objects can be defined in
oracle.

here is an example.

CREATE TYPE PointType AS OBJECT ( x NUMBER, y NUMBER );

     CREATE TYPE LineType AS OBJECT (
         end1 PointType,
         end2 PointType,
         MEMBER FUNCTION length(scale IN NUMBER) RETURN NUMBER
     );
     /
you can create normal relational tables having an object as one of its
column.

Hope the above thing would've given u a little bit idea of what we can do.

Like so much else, I take his explanation as a starting point. More later.

Now as to objects in programming:

An object is a combination of instructions and data.

I'm still trying to grasp it all but it helps when I try to explain it, I've
found.

Chuck Williams
willcha@sme.org