[GLLUG] Dual Boot XP pro and Red Hat 7.1

Brad Fears fearsb@michigan.gov
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:27:04 -0500

As far as I know, you cannot mount a [Win2k/XP] NTFS drive in Linux as you could with previous versions of NTFS.  I don't know if Ext3 has that capability...  I've also heard mixed opinions about performance differences between Fat32 and the new NTFS with XP.  Some people seem to think that Fat32 is faster, but you also give up file security if you go that route.  Do some research to decide which is best for you.  I have mine at home set up to dual boot from one drive (1/2 NTFS, 1/2 Ext2), while the other is formatted Fat32, and is accessible by both operating systems.

As for your reboot errors after using parition magic, you'll have to provide more info about the actual problem.

--Brad Fears

>>> "Joshua S. Chulski" <jchulski@yahoo.com> 03/28/02 12:05PM >>>
I need some guru advice on how to set this up.  Should I use FAT 32 or
can I use NTFS?
I have tried to have partition magic shrink the NTFS partiton, but upon
reboot there are errors that prevent a partition from being made.

Any help/advise would greatly appreciated.

Joshua