[GLLUG] Mount FAT32 drive as non-root

Brian Cox coxbrian@msu.edu
Thu, 16 May 2002 23:59:29 -0400

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:23:11PM -0400, Brad Fears wrote:
> I'm sharing a FAT32 drive between two machines, and I'm looking for a
> way to mount it so I can have write access to the drive without root
> privileges.

man mount

In particular, look at the section called "Mount options for fat"
where you'll find the uid, gid, and umask options.  The first option
is the one you'll need to change the owner of the mounted partition.
The latter two options you'll want to use for setting group ownership
and the permission flags that are (dis)allowed on the mounted
partition.

FAT32 doesn't have the same ownership and access attributes that ext2
uses, so the best you can do is tell the kernel to treat all files on
the FAT32 partition as if they're owned by the same user and group and
have the same basic permission bits set.  That's why chmod and chown
don't do anything useful on it.

--
        Brian Cox           |      Any sufficiently advanced technology is
    (coxbrian@msu.edu)      |           indistinguishable from magic.