[GLLUG] certifications

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:13:47 -0400

On Friday 24 May 2002 12:46, Kyle Anderson wrote:
> I was wondering about some useful computer certifications.

Certifications are mainly useful for getting your resumé past the HR
drones so you can get an interview set up.

> linux related or others.

Here's *my* Linux certification:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=comp.os.linux.*
&as_uauthors=Dances%20With%20Crows&lr=&hl=en

(put all that on one line.)  HR may not understand it, but techies
certainly would.

> I would like to have some marketablity.

The RHCE (RedHat Certified Engineer) is a good one to get if you can
afford it.  The suits may have heard of Redhat, and the techies and the
more intelligent suits know that the RHCE has a hands-on component.
(For one part of the test, they set up a Redhat installation, the test
proctor breaks stuff, you have the root password and 2 hours to fix as
much stuff as you can without reinstalling everything.)  This usually
requires actual skill/experience, not just night-before cramming.

SAIR has a GNU/Linux cert as well.  I didn't research their stuff much,
but they are pretty well-respected.

Also, when announcing your marketablity to prospective employers, it's a
good idea to check your speling and proofread carfully to see if you
any words out.

> what are the prerequisites for such certifications.

Like Brian said, you generally pay the money and take the test; you pass
the test, you get the cert.  Structured levels and prerequisites ("You
must have "RHCE 'little penguin'" and "RHCE 'medium penguin'" before
taking the test for "RHCE UBER-H4X0R") aren't consistent yet and vary
with which vendors you decide to study with.

--
   "Right," said the head fireman, "Let's turn on the power and see
   what's on fire."   -- Skud of Netizen, explaining about her