[GLLUG] aliases

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:49:51 -0500

Did you check the .bash_profile and .bashrc files in your $HOME
directory?  RedHat creates these each time adduser us run by copying the
contents of /etc/skel to the new users' home directories.

Your ~/.bashrc file is executed after /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc, so
it's the best place to define custom aliases.  Just start with `unalias
-a` to clear the existing aliases, and add the ones you want.

PaulM

-----Original Message-----
From: Subba Rao [mailto:sailorn@attglobal.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 7:00 PM
To: Lansing LUG
Subject: [GLLUG] aliases

I am new to RH distro and have a basic question.

After login, when I type the command 'alias' I get the following output.
	alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty'
	alias ll='ls -l --color=tty'
	alias ls='ls --color=tty'
	alias vi='vim'
	alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias
--show-dot --show-tilde'

I would like to modify them a little bit to my taste.  I tried to look
for where these aliases were defined but cannot find them.
The /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc do not have any of the above aliases
defined.  I searched thru all the files in /etc and did not
find any there either.

Where are these aliases defined?  Are these compiled into the 'bash'?

PS - RH distro does impress me now.  Few years ago (1997) it did not.
Thanks Mike for the copy of RH.

Subba Rao
sailorn@attglobal.net
2002-11-22