[GLLUG] Redhat 8.0 + holy crap.

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:58:22 -0400

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 10:09, after a long battle with technology,
Melson, Paul wrote:
> What?!  How broken is KDE in RH8?  I'm burning the ISOs right now,
> but if KDE doesn't work, I'll wait until they're fixed and available
> via RHN.

What Jo was probably talking about is the recent kerfluffle over some
changes that Redhat made to KDE and GNOME.  You can install either or
both, and if you choose "KDE" from the gdm screen, it'll look very
similar to what you'd see if you'd chosen "GNOME" on that screen.  The
different DEs also behave similarly, with reservations:  No sftp:// or
vnc:// support in Metacity's file manager, and Konqueror uses a
different (less advanced?) method for displaying things like Hebrew or
Arabic or Japanese text.  Redhat also did something to the "About"
boxes on most of the KDE applications.  There were a few stories on /.
recently that went into more detail, if you can read through the
flames.

Hm.  KDE and friends run at reasonable speeds on my machines, but I'm
wondering if it's time to give Gentoo another try since Gentoo is using
gcc 3.1 (maybe 3.2 now) and having *everything* compiled with the
latest nifty bits (and Athlon/P3 optimizations) should provide a
performance boost.

--
  "Bother," said Pooh.  "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
  phasers on the Heffalump; Piglet, meet me in transporter room three."