[GLLUG] Re: Distributed / Linked with Open Source DB

Jason Green greenja6@msu.edu
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:00:41 -0400

I looked around for a long time at the open source db's out there, and the
biggest problem I had was that none of them (natively or stably) supported
synchronous replication between different sites.  The new version of mySQL
support round-robin master/slave replication that can be circular (site A ->
site B -> site A), but can fail if 2 different sites have updates made to
the same record at the same time.  PostgreSQL has a number of additional
packages that can be added to it to support replication, but none of them
have been declared stable, and I'm not running test software in a production
environment (Windows excluded   :-)

As far as Union Queries across a WAN, I suppose it could be done if you had
your program linking correctly to all 4 sites, but I'd imagine it might be
pretty slow.   Depending on how time-sensitive the data is, you could just
run hourly/nightly imports of all off-site data, and have a procedure that
removes the old stuff and replaces it with the new imports.  Then, your
union query would only have to involve the "on-site" table and an "off-site"
table that are present on all 4 sites...  Unfortunately, it looks like one
of the commercial databases is the only way to do a lot of multi-site stuff
right now without having to write a lot of custom code to patch everything
together.  But, mySQL is making a lot of headway right now, and I heard that
some company is starting to adopt and expand PostgreSQL quite a bit, but I
can't remember who right now.

Also, you might want to look at SAPDB...  I don't know how full-featured it
is (doesn't have synchronous replication), but it's open source as well.  It
claims to be an "enterprise" software package.

Jason Green
greenja6@msu.edu