[GLLUG] redhat 8.0 gnome fonts

David Hamilton dhamilton@voyager.net
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:58:16 -0400

I recently upgraded a red-hat 7.3 ximian install to red-hat 8.0

So far I'm happy with most of the changes but I'm having a big problem with the new TT fonts.  They look wonderful in most applications and usually pretty good in terminals, but sometimes color combinations that worked with the old fonts don't work well with the new fonts.  I have made the fonts bigger and bolder but this doesn't really work well.

The highlights that I would normally get with "ls --color" are almost impossible to read.  The fonts are too "wispy".  My old mutt configuration has become useless because the color combinations are also hard to read.  BitchX is now almost unusable.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the new fonts and go back to the old ones?

I removed the new additions to /etc/X11/fs/config, restarted xfs and restarted X but nothing has changed.

**Changes to /etc/X11/fs/config

catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,
        /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
#       /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType,
#       /usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts,
#       /usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType

I have added the above comments.

Any help would be great!