[GLLUG] JFS and Mac OS X

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:36:38 -0400

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 20:57, after a long battle with technology,
Mike Reed wrote:
> Has anyone here done any work with a JFS?  I've read-up on the
> subject and I'd love to hear anecdotes from actual usage experiences.
>  Good, bad, ugly, summary impressions, etc.

I've been using a combination of ReiserFS and ext3 on my desktop, and
ext3 on my laptop, for over a year now.  The only problems I had were
due to the kernels between 2.3.99 and 2.4.4 not dealing with VIA686
chipsets properly.  Other than that, I've had 5 or 6 unintended
shutdowns for various reasons and never had data loss.

Can't speak for OS X since I don't have any hardware that's capable of
running it, but IMHO there's no reason not to use a journaling
filesystem on your Linux machines.

Another performance tip for Linux machines:  Mount your filesystems with
the "noatime" option.  Most of the time, you don't need atime; you're
interested in mtime if you're interested in file times.  If you're not
updating atime, you cut down the number of disk writes by about 5%,
which can be significant on heavily-accessed filesystems.

--
   He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
   --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish