[GLLUG] dvd drive

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:14:44 -0400

On Friday 18 October 2002 22:32, after a long battle with technology,
Dylan Misenheimer wrote:
> just picked up an Asus DVD drive, and was wondering how to get it all
> set up.   do i just treat it as CDROM in /etc/fstab? or does it have
> special settings.  drivers?  etc.....

DVD drives look like CD-ROM devices to the kernel.  If this is an IDE
device, you can just symlink /dev/hdX to /dev/dvd , then point your
/etc/fstab to /dev/dvd .  Make sure to put "udf" or "auto" into the
fstab entry; most commercial DVDs use UDF instead of ISO9660.

Since DVDs push more data than CD-ROMs, you probably want to turn DMA on
for the interface the DVD drive is on.  "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdX" should
work fine.  If you don't do that, you will probably find that your
movies skip when you try to watch them.

> plus i'm curious about favorite dvd players.  mplayer work well?

mplayer should work just fine, provided you read the documentation about
getting DVD playback to work.  You'll have to compile mplayer with
libcss support to play DVDs directly.  Some people prefer Xine or Ogle
for watching DVDs.  I have no real opinion as I have an Apex600A and a
21" TV for watching DVDs on.

--
   Life is a persistent hallucination, Death a mere illusion.
             Taxes, however, are Objective Reality.