[GLLUG] Lost LILO, Can't Boot

Brian Hoort hoortbri@msu.edu
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:15:09 -0400

I attempted to install GRUB onto my Debian Testing box Friday without first
ensuring I could still boot from my bootable Debian Install CD. It used to
work, now it does not. Presumably because I've been updating over time with
apt-get? (I realize I'm a big buffoon for this).

I have tried entering the following kernel parameters:
rescue root=/dev/hda1 through hda8
(even though I'm sure root is hda6, I tried them all)

I also tried entering:
rescue root=/dev/hda6 boot=/dev/hda1 home=/dev/hda7
(I made up the home, is that a passable parameter?)
which is what I believe all of the partitions are actually used for--this
also did not work.

I had to use that other OS for the first time in a few months to surf for
my class, and it crashed 4 times on me in IE with no other apps running!
This on a machine that is practically a new install, very few installed
apps, and little mileage. Argh!

TIA

--
Brian Hoort