[GLLUG] Lost LILO, Can't Boot

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
10 Sep 2002 11:35:33 -0400

Brian Hoort <hoortbri@msu.edu> writes:

> During bootup, the last thing I saw it get to was APM, at which point
> I get a panic with a screen full of hex. The last line of the screen
> reads:
> Code = Bad EIP value

The OOPS message is probably not too useful to mere humans (I
except Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox from this category).  Assuming
that the OOPS caused things to scroll off the screen, can you
scroll up with Shift+PgUp to see what came right before the OOPS?

> I'll try finding a bootdisk that will work. Any theories why this one
> won't? What sorts of things cause this?

I haven't got any good clues at the moment.  I guess you could
bring it to the Thursday meeting if that's easy.
--
"The road to hell is paved with convenient shortcuts."
--Peter da Silva