[GLLUG] yppasswd:yppasswdd not running on NIS master host

Justino Madariaga jmadaria@bournemouth.ac.uk
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:16:47 +0100

Dear linux-users
I have the following configuration:
1 Red Hat Version 7.2 running on a PII/266 PC
2 NIS and NFS (directories exported /home)

I want the users be able to change passwords from any of the nis clients
connected to
the NIS Server on a Local Area Network.

Whenever I want to change the user's password using the "yppasswd" command
on a
client machine I get "yppasswd:yppasswdd not running on NIS master host".
If I run "yppasswd" on the master server, it allows me to change the user's
passwords,
but then I have to update the NIS maps (make -C /var/yp and changes take
place) so
that the users are able to login on the client machines using the new
password.
All other command issued from the clients work:ypwhich, ypcat, ypcat
passwd.byname.

Any clues???

Justino Madariaga
School of DEC
Room P204b
Ext 5257
E-Mail  jmadaria@bournemouth.ac.uk

http://hermes
Access only on the University's Intranet