[GLLUG] Linux and ATTBI Question

David Lee Lambert lamber45@egr.msu.edu
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 09:39:04 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 Sep 2002, Brad Fears wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 21:00, David Lee Lambert wrote:
> <snip>
> > This leads to a question.  I'd like to allow FTP from the local network.
> > I don't want to allow FTP from systems not on the local network;  first,
> > it's insecure;  second, it's a real pain to configure;  third, it's not
> > clear that it even works through the firewall.  I can make any files I
> > want to available by HTTP,  and people with accounts can use SCP to copy
> > files on and off the system.

> Doesn't your router have a built-in firewall?  If so, just block off
> access to ftp from the outside->in.  If not, get a better router.  A
> linux machine works nicely. :)

Well,  I know I can do this,  but I want something a little more involved.
I'd like for someone who tries to connect to get this message:

220 ramoth FTP server ready
220-FTP from remote hosts is deprecated.  See our wesite for details.

and then be able to log in as 'anonymous' and download the 'wget' source
code and a couple of SSH tools.  I'm running SAMBA,  but I actually have
an XT that can only do telnet and FTP,  nothing else.

It seems like I might be able to do something with ipfwadm (I'm running a
2.0 kernel)... should it be possible to run an FTP server that acts
differently on a diferent port?

--
DLL
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/