[GLLUG] Proper Debian Startup

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:11:41 -0500

Brian Hoort wrote:
> I've learned that I have to 'modprobe sb' to get my sound working. I'd
> like to put this command somewhere so that it happens every bootup.
> Under Debian, should it's "proper" place be /etc/rc.d/rc.local?

The "correct" way to do it is by adding a line or two to /etc/modules.conf,
but many people I've talked to consider hacking modules.conf a black art and
just leave it to configuration utilities. The best alternative is to do what
you suggest, which is to simply put your modprobes in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. I
myself have no less than five (all ALSA drivers) that get modprobe'd at boot
from the init scripts.

Maybe at a meeting we could discuss kernel modules and specifically how to use
modules.conf and maybe devfsd.conf? I'd be willing to at least look into it
further if there are no module masters in the group. Seems like kernel modules
are one of those things that every Linux user with a root account should be
intimitely familiar with.

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net