[GLLUG] Trying to Learn Linux yet again

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:13:59 -0400

If you're in Charlotte, NC, you're not too terribly far from RedHat's
corporate HQ (in Raleigh) which has a training and testing center for
the RHCE and other RedHat certifications.  (It used to be the only place
you could take the test.)

Beyond that, I recommend spending as much time as possible with the LDP
(http://www.linux.org/docs/).  Playing with different packages and
hardware and following different HOWTO's is a great way to learn the
intricacies of Linux.  It doesn't hurt if you can code, or at least read
C, Bourne shell, and Perl, but it's not required.

And, as always, tap the community.  If you have specific questions about
something, feel free to post the question or problem along with relevant
log/error messages and people will do their best to help.

The secret, though, is time and perseverance.  An hour a week won't
allow you to make the kind of progress you want.

PaulM

-----Original Message-----
From: martin [mailto:mdcasa@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 2:46 PM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: [GLLUG] Trying to Learn Linux yet again

Hello,

Ok I know that this is the Great Lansing user's group,
but I don't have one here in Charlotte, NC.  I have
been reading the listserv for a while and thought I'd
pose this newb question.  I am really trying to get
back into Linux.  A while back I made a conserted
effort to learn, but got bogged down when I couldn't
get my wireless nic to work under Mandrake 9.0.  So I
just purchased Xandros off the web and waiting for
it's arrival.  Any suggestions for where to go to
study.  I have tried lot's of things, and I guess what
I need is something hands on.  Heck, I'd even be
willing to pay for it.  My local community college
offers a class, but I have been told by several folks
that the teachers aren't very good (they supposedly
teach from the book and nothing else).

At any rate I need some help.  I want to, once an for
all, give Micro$oft the boot.

Thanks,

Martin