[GLLUG] Linux Mandrake Problems

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:04:04 -0400

Thomas Alan Hearn wrote:
> Dear GLLUG users,
>  I have installed Linux Mandrake 9.1 on my HP Pentium 4 2.2, with a gig
> of ram.  I have been having problems with the linux running incredibly
> slow, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas.  The kernel boots
> incredibly slow and once the desktop loads (the GTGreeter as well) it is
> still slow as can be.  I think it may have something to do with the USB
> drivers, but don't really have a clue?  I have heard that sometimes
> computers that are faster have problems with Linux, maybe just a
> rumour?  Anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks in advance!
> Cheers,
> Tom

If the slowness starts in the kernel, then that is probably the culprit. When
you observe the slowdown, does it happen at specific points during the boot
process (ie: initializing the CPU, IDE controller) or throughout the entire
thing? Do you get any error messages at all when the kernel boots? (Sending a
copy of your boot messages might help: "dmesg > foo.txt") It would also be a
great help if you could mention your system specs as well.

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net