[GLLUG] Addition to previous post

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:42:06 -0400

Thomas Alan Hearn wrote:
> I booted up linux without running the X server, opened up the file
> /var/log/XFree86.setup.log in emacs and got the following out of the log
> file:
> Fatal server error:
> Caught Signal 8.  Server aborting.
> Hopefully this helps!
> Thanks again.
> Tom

Signal 8 is a floating-point exception. Without seeing the rest of the
server's log output, this would be hard to diagnose. It might be possible to
track error down to a single module or driver, which would give us some kind
of starting point on troubleshooting the problem itself.

Additionally, you might try Red Hat 9, which is quite a bit newer and should
be all-around better. (But I haven't run RH since 4.2, so don't take my word
for it. :P) Don't get too discouraged, it often would take me up to 3 installs
of a new distro or distro version before I could get it right, and that was
well after I started becoming familiar with Linux. :)

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net