[GLLUG] Where can I get the best Linux training?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:03:17 -0500

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 14:22, after a long battle with technology,
Matt Shirilla wrote:
> My main interest is system administration.  To be honest I don't
> think I would ever pay for Linux training, but my company will and I
> want to get the most out of it I can.

See if they'll spring for some of that RHCE goodness, then.  If you want
something that's not tied to a particular distro, then SAIR offers
training as well.  At the very least, get them to buy you a copy of
_The Practice of System and Network Administration_ by Limoncelli and
Hogan... it was recommended to me a while back and roundly acclaimed as
being good by a bunch of tired old sysadmins.  If that won't fly, get
the Armadillo Book, which should at least get you started on many
Unix-like systems.

Training is good, but experience is better.  Check
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=891kot%247uj%40weyl.math.psu.edu
for one particular horror story that no amount of training would really
have helped with.  If you wish to do system administration, you should
lurk in ASR; you will learn a few things.

> I just assume stay at home and
> read man pages if the class offered by the Acme Company is what I can
> get out off any beginner book.

?  That sentence doesn't parse.  Anyway, if the class is being taught by
some guy who's just reading out of the book, you're right that it's a
waste of time.

--
  "sometimes I am called upon to program stuff." -- Dag
  "I suppose that program stuffing is to programs as gerbil stuffing is