[GLLUG] Joining my network

N N Ashok nalkunda@egr.msu.edu
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:39:23 -0400

On Thursday 24 April 2003 07:31, Seth Bembeneck scrawled:
> Does that mean that I have to have DNS or the other servers running some
> where on the network? How can I configure for a router, DNS or any thing
> else if it is not running on the network any where? The network is just
> 4 - 6 computers. I can set up a DNS server if I need too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Seth
> Ps. This is the first time I have been in an email based newsgroup...
> What is the preferred way to reply to a message? Just reply? Reply all?
> Or start a new email? thanks

Generally I do a reply all just in case some of the posters are not
subscribers to the newsgroup. Also it is advisable to reply at the end of the
message/history so that new readers can read in a flow.

You dont have to run a DNS server on your network. But you should be knowing
the IP addresses of the DNS servers that your other windows machines are
using. You them in the DNS section of the 'neat' program. The machine which
is connected to your ISP will be the gateway for the other machines and will
do the routing. If you can discribe the setup I could help more.

Hope that helps.
Ashok