[GLLUG] setting up Samba

Mark Tarquini mark@iametarq.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:55:03 -0400

This is my first contribution to this group!

I cannot remember if the issue with making RH 7.1 show up on a windows network
was resolved or not, but I just setup samba on my RH8.0 box to work with the
windows network in my house.  If this issue has been resolved please forgive me
for invading your inboxes.

It was very straigt forward...(all term commands in () are what i type for RH8.0)

1.  make sure the Samba Package is installed... (redhat-config-packages)
2.  use your favorite text editor and edit the file (gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf)
    the commenting in that file makes configuration very straight forward. =)
3.  once you've got what you want restart samba with (service smb restart)
4.  now run to your windows box and you'll probably need to reboot or re-run
    the home networking wizard in WindowsME.

Also, this document was great help:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-samba-configuring.html

I hope I am not severely punished for mailing to the list before attending a
meeting yet!  I am an MSU student and have class thursday nights, but now finals
are next week, and i'm not excited.  yes, i'm a linux newbie, i've been playing
with linux (RH) for about two years now.  trying to figure out how i can do
everything I do in windows so I can get rid of windows from my box...currently i
have a dualboot of redhat 8 and win2k professional. =)

-Mark Tarquini

--
"And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." -
Friedrich Nietzsche

mark@iametarq.com
  www.iametarq.com