[GLLUG] Centralized Syslog Server - Security Checks

Darrel Clute darrel_clute@yahoo.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:59:47 -0700 (PDT)

I am currently researching possiblities for setting up
a syslog server. The primary function of this server
will be to maintain all logs of all servers, routers,
switches, vpn concentrators and firewalls. It will
also need to be able to analyze the various logs for
various security breaches system errors and
unauthorized access by internal users. It should be
able to send daily, weekly and monthly reports that
summarize various activities that may require further
research. It would also be nice to be able to have all
the logs to be imported into various tables of a mySQL
database for easier searches and less clutter of the
hard drive. A web-based GUI would be a plus. Anyone
have any ideas as to where I should look to to find
such a syslog server or any ideas as to what I may be
looking for as far as packages and general programming
guidelines.

Just a note I am more of a Network Admin then a Sys
Admin and have limited programming knowledge.

Darrel Clute, CCNA/CCDA