[GLLUG] CD-RW/CD-R for Linux

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
27 Apr 2003 13:44:34 -0700

"Seth Bembeneck" <sbembeneck@characterlink.net> writes:

> I’m looking to get a cd-rw for Red Hat. The two manufacturers I’m
> looking at right now are Lite-on and Cendyne. When I look at the boxes
> for them, Linux is not listed. Does any one know if they will work?
> Should most of the newer cd-rw drives work? Does Red hat even support
> cd burning?

I haven't yet run into a CD-RW I couldn't make work under Linux.
These days, most will work fine right out of the box.  That said,
some won't, and some may take more work than others.

Take a look at this page, which lists drives that will work:
        http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/man/README/README-2.0
In particular, it says this:
        It seems that all drives that have been initially
        released in 1999 or later are MMC compliant. If a recent
        drive does not work with cdrecord, you most likely found
        a firmware bug in this drive.  Contact your drive vendor
        in this case.

Red Hat should support CD burning.  You want the cdrecord program
and perhaps some kind of friendly GUI wrapper, like grip (for
music CDs) or xcdroast (for anything).
--
"[I]n this era of constant innovation,
 it takes a special kind of person to look evolution in the eye