[GLLUG] BellSouth DSL Customer

Ben Pfaff blp at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 26 19:25:58 EDT 2003

Jeremy Bowers <jerf at jerf.org> writes:

> I'm getting a lot of bounce messages because the stupid mail
> processers trust the forged address; many are for
> "bowersj2 at cse.msu.edu" which I *never* send from. Definately the most
> irritating virus to date, because there's collateral damage to even
> Linux/Mac/Misc users.

Personally I find the "virus in your mail" notifications far more
irritating.  The mailer daemons have to trust the sender address,
but a virus scanner that detects that mail was sent by a virus
that *always* forges its sender address should not be so stupid
as to send a notification to that sender.
--
"Whoever you are -- SGI, SCO, HP, or even Microsoft -- most of the
 smart people on the planet work somewhere else."