[GLLUG] USB Flash Drive connectivity

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Dec 16 18:30:21 EST 2003

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 17:23, after a long battle with technology,
Sean O'Malley wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Brian Hoort wrote:
> > I have purchased a Lexar USB "ThumbDrive".  I have tried to connect
> > to it on my new Debian box running 2.4.18-1 without success.
> > modprobe usb-storage (I think that's what it's called, I type from
> > memory) succeeds, but I can attempt to mount /dev/sda1 through
> > /dev/sdb15 without a hit.  On my previous Linux box this was all I
> > had to do to mount my digicam, and I believe there is no difference

Are usb-uhci or usb-ohci loaded?  You need to have one of them loaded.
It's possible to load usb-storage if the base USB chipset support isn't
loaded.

> Try linux-usb.org. Lexar has its own litle system for drivers for
> their card readers.

That too.  If the base USB chipset support is loaded and the device
isn't supported, you should see something like this in dmesg:

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4102/0x1003) is not claimed by any
active driver.

(the device above, an iRiver 390T mp3 player, is supported by libusb and
the ifp-line project available on sourceforge, in case anyone was
wondering--just not the usb-storage module!)

--
   Quantum theory states that you have changed the actual contents of
   this message by observing it.  Since you have changed it, we can't be