[GLLUG] redhat 7.3 install problem on Compaq computer

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:55:40 -0500

I don't know if you've got one of the newer Presario laptops, but you
may find this article useful.

If you can get lm_sensors (http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/) working,
you can find the CPU temp that way.  But since you're having trouble
getting through the install, that may not be feasible.  There's also
gp_Temp for Win32, which you can get here:
http://www.benchtest.com/downloads/index.html

Though, if I had to guess, CPU temp isn't the issue.  It's been my
experience that Windows is much more sensitive to CPU overheating than
Linux is.  Good luck!

PaulM

PS - RedHat 8.0 is out, and includes support for some newer hardware.
It requires more disk space than 7.3 does, but I've found that it fixed
a lot of the USB and PCMCIA support issues that were present in 7.x.