[GLLUG] your favorite softwares, and distros

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:09:31 -0500

Yao-Ying Chien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My 1st Linux was Redhat 4.0 (1993?), then I haven't done much since then. Lately, I wish to refresh the programing languages I learned (C++, Java, Perls, MIPS, FROTRAN), and learn some new ones as well (Python, tcl, CGI, parallel computing, mySQL, <opened to suggestions>). Things have changed so much since RH 4.0. What are your favorite softwares? Could you guys please share with me, so that I know where to start and enjoy?
>
> Your opinions on distributions (Rehhat, Mandrake, etc.)? Which one to start? And which one is more tolerant as I have difficulties in installing RH 7.3 on a Compaq computer: Presario, P-III 450MHz, desktop, made in 1998 (?).
>
> Pointers are great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Yao

Oh boy, I smell a flame-fest coming on. :P

I use Slackware, but it's not really the best distro to start with unless your
goal is to learn from the bottom up. The most often cited distros for new
users are Red Hat and Mandrake.

As for other software, well, the sky is the limit. Find something that looks
interesting and run with it.

I use the GNOME 2 desktop environment and the Mozilla web browser most often
in my daily routine. Tcl is my language of choice for simple application
development. (Still learning C.) Python is purported to be good. If web
development is one of your goals, a good first stop might be PHP.

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://www.bityard.net