[GLLUG] your favorite softwares, and distros

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:45:30 -0500

On Thursday 27 February 2003 14:50, after a long battle with technology,
Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Daniel <drk@netophilia.net> writes:
> > Does it need to be linux?
> > If not, I recommend running a BSD, FreeBSD being the easiest to
> > get going. Try out version 4.7, since 5.0 was just released and
> > probably has more bugs.
>
> You're recommending a BSD on a Linux users group mailing list?
> That seems antisocial at best.

Eh, there are *BSD users here too.

I would disagree on *BSD being easier to install than a modern Linux
distro; the *BSD team has gone for a total bare-bones, text-only,
expert-oriented approach in their installer that mimics what you found
in a Linux distro in 1998-1999.  I haven't installed a *BSD in over a
year, things might have changed.  As far as hardware support goes, it's
six of one and half-a-dozen of the other.

--
   The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
   major sedatives.   --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001