[GLLUG] your favorite softwares, and distros

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:44:28 -0500

I couldn't find anything to substantiate the claim I am about to make,
but I believe that RedHat 2.0 (which was kernel 1.2.x) came out in
spring of '95 as the 1st official RedHat release.  Prior to that, Marc
Ewing worked on a distro called Mothers' Day Linux, which would've been
available some time in '93-94.  I personally never used it, so I don't
know if it was kernel 0.9x or 1.0.x.  At that time, Slackware was so far
ahead of all of the other Linux distros, people only ran other
distributions out of [morbid] curiosity. :-)

I didn't use RedHat for the first time until 4.1 came out, which was
released in spring of '97, and promptly went back to Slackware. :-)
That was 6 years ago, though, and RedHat has gotten a lot of industry
support and significantly improved their distro - over the last 3 years,
especially.

PaulM