[GLLUG] JSP Primer?

Shawn Paige paig2956@yahoo.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:19:58 -0800 (PST)

Mike-

>From http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html:

"Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the
official Reference Implementation for the Java Servlet
and JavaServer Pages technologies."

What this means in plain english is that not only does
Tomcat serve static content such as HTML pages, but it
will interpret and run JSP pages and Java Servlets as
well.

Here is JavaServer PagesTM Fundamentals from Sun as a
place to learn more about JSP:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/JSPIntro/

I hope this gets you started in the right direction.
There is a lot of info about using Java on the web,
especially to connect with MySQL if you are looking
for quick and easy tutorials.  Once you get up to
speed, you might want to check out the Struts
framework for the backend of your Java web development
(it contains nice tag libraries to use w/ JSP among
other things):

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/index.html

Shawn